Sunday, December 22, 2013

End of Fall Semester 2013!


With the completion of my fall semester, many exciting things have happened.  For one, I finished the semester with a 3.4 GPA; although I was hoping for Dean’s list, which is a 3.5 GPA I am extremely pleased with pulling off a 3.4 GPA.  It is not easy trying to balance a 15 credit hour semester with being sick, but I would say I managed just find in the end. 

In addition, my best friend Taylor graduated from James Madison University and that was the first friend I physically watched graduate from college.  I have to admit it was a little sad especially considering how close Taylor and I are; luckily Taylor is staying for her Master’s at JMU.  I guess you can say that I am spoiled in that sense.  One thing that I have had to keep confronting this past semester that will only continue to grow worse is the fact that all of my friends are graduating next semester and I am not.  I am staying for an extra semester and I know a handful of people staying if that.  I am going to be devastated when all of my friends graduate and I am the only one left.

One new thing in my life to help with all of the change is that I got a puppy!  Two weeks ago right before the semester ended my parents told me that after much debate they finally had decided that they were going to get me a mini Labradoodle for Christmas.  He is currently 15 weeks and with every day he gets better and better with listening to directions.  He is a great companion.



As far as being sick goes, the last protocol was okay in the beginning until I got to the CoArtem.  The CoArtem always hits me hard and gives me the worst night sweats, which means my Babesia is still active and strong.  I still have a list of symptoms a mile long, but the doctor was optimistic at my appointment on Friday.  They were happy with my improvements and while I still have a ways to go, it is always nice when someone else is able to see the improvements in you.  I am still really struggling with neck/back pain, headaches, sleep, night sweats, chest pain, difficulty breathing, memory, word retrieval, rib pain, and REOCCURING EAR INFECTIONS!  The reoccurring ear infections in the right ear has got to be the most annoying symptom I have because I have had it since June and my ear is just so raw right now.  Sometimes wind can blow and irritate my ear to the point where I cry because of how sensitive my ear is.  Also, I didn’t follow my last protocol to a tee because I forgot to take the xylitol and I feel like that is pretty essential for the protocol. 

On Friday I test dosed Tigecycline and I tolerated it well; I did dose Zofran before and after for nausea.  While I did tolerate Tige in the office, something tells me this next protocol will kick my ass!   Luckily I am home on break and really my only job is to treat this disease and it is easier while at home because I don’t have any real stress other than what I put on myself.  This will be a great month for getting better and de-stressing! 

Since I have had some spare time I was fortunate enough to get together with some friends in DC who were all in town to go to the clinic.  One beautiful thing to come out of such a nasty disease are the friends that I have met along the way:


Anyways until next time: “Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment