Sunday, April 3, 2016

ARRIVED in Switzerland!


It was stressful flying out of Dulles International Airport because it is a huge airport and we were flying international, which means worrying about passports in addition to everything else.  The one cool thing about the Dulles airport was hearing all of the different languages that were being spoken at any given point.  We left our house shortly after 1pm because we were supposed to stop at a Ship’n Copy by our house, but instead had to stop at a different one that was more on our route because my Dad forgot to stop.  I was growing increasingly anxious as we waited to get to the airport.  It is a weird feeling, knowing that you won’t be back to a particular space for a month.  I was right and knew we would get held up at security.  Security had to pat me down because of my port then go through my multiple liquids and brand new Miralax.  As soon as Mom and I made it through security, we had less than an hour to spare before boarding.  I wanted to grab a milkshake, Mom wanted a salad, and I needed to buy a neck pillow for the flight.  I had a friend fly to Europe a few weeks ago and she said that was a packing essential for the long flight.  
The product of two divas leaving the country

Last picture in US soil

By the time we completed all 3 tasks, we had about 20 minutes to spare.  During that time I ran to the bathroom twice because of nerves.  We were the first two people to board the plane seeing that it takes me extra time to get situated; we boarded with the families and people with disabilities.  I timed my sleeping medication just right because as soon as we were situated on the plane I was dead asleep.  The plane hadn’t even taken off and I was already asleep for the next 7 hours.  When I woke up it was 7AM, which at that point meant I only had one more hour left.  I ate a croissant that was offered on the plane because I figured why not, well now I know why not.  I haven’t eaten solid food in over a moth and it really re-triggered my gastroparesis pains.  The last hour of flying was filled with turbulance.
First selfie in Europe headed to Teufen

By the time we landed around 8AM I was starving.  I needed some thick liquid to satisfy my hunger pains.  We found a Starbuck’s which we are familiar with so I ordered a frappucino.  Then we found the woman who was picking us up from the airport and driving us to the Hotel Santis.  After finding her and making the decision to leave our stuff with her, we headed into Migros, a huge grocery store in the airport.  There was even a Victoria’s Secret in the airport.  We picked up a few necessities at the Migros, to last us until Monday when the town re-opens.  On Sunday’s everything is closed in the town. 
The drive to the Hotel Santis was about an hour.  It seemed longer because Mom and I were very tired.  One bonus to the long drive was the scenery.   We must be in one of the most beautiful parts of the county.  When we arrived at the hotel, Irene and Christian, the owner’s of the Inn, greeted us.  We sat down with Irene to go over all of the amenities the hotel offers as well as the dining situation.  I was also handed by first appointment for tomorrow, which is at 11:45 AM but the shuttle will leave here at 10:15AM.  My first appointment is panoramic X-rays.  I am anxious yet hopeful for what my 4 weeks in Teufen will bring.

The view from our patio
After checking in with Irene, Mom and I hit up the dining room where we tried Dr. Rau’s liver detox soup for the first time.  The soup is composed of water, green beans, celery, zucchini, and carrots.  It was actually much better than Mom and I were expecting, after 3 bowls of soup we laid down for a much-needed nap.  After our nap we started walking around the town to get a lay of the land.  They were not kidding when they said every thing is closed on Sundays.  I was practicing my German when reading the local signs.  I even got an opportunity to practice my German with the hotel owner.
Dr. Rau's liver detox soup

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

No comments:

Post a Comment